Southern Gulf Islands Housing Feasibility Report
Capital Regional District
Southern Gulf Islands, BC
This study sought to provide an understanding of the housing landscape in the Southern Gulf Island region while also highlighting some specific conditions of each one of the islands. As the region continues to grow and the population of each island expands it would become important to further the analysis to address the housing affordability challenges of each community. The scope of work of this study included three distinct phases:
– Summary of challenges and opportunities in the housing environment of the SGIs
– Review of existing reports and policy documents as well as engagement with CRD staff to gain a comprehensive understanding of the housing environment for the SGI region.
– Financial analysis including proformas and capital budgets
– Use of our in-house financial analysis templates to develop capital budgets for the various scenarios outlined by CRD. Engagement with local buildings and building permit data to extract construction cost information.
– Cross-reference of results from proformas with the 2018 SGI Housing Needs Assessment
– Synthesis of results from the financial analysis with the preliminary policy research with specific attention to the 2018 SGI Housing Needs Assessment.